Fairfax Collaborative Divorce Lawyers – (703) 721-7640
With collaborative law, you can work together with your spouse and your divorce attorneys to sidestep the courtroom and keep things amicable. The Law Office Michael Kevin Murphy, PLLC with offices in Fairfax and Loudoun Counties and serving all of Northern Virginia and beyond can help you discover all the benefits of collaborative law and decide if it is right for you. Attorney Michael Murphy is well trained in Collaborative Law. He has decades of family law experience under his belt, allowing him to guide you to the outcome that protects your best interests.
For most people, dealing with lawyers is difficult. We get that. When a collaborative law matter comes up, powerful emotions often make it even more difficult to deal with, and no one wants to take time off from work or drive a long distance, worrying about traffic and parking, only to sit in a strange law office waiting to meet a lawyer for the first time. We understand that. We found a better way a long ago. Setting up a video teleconference with one of our attorneys, for an initial client consultation or a follow-up, is easy via “Zoom”, “Facetime”, “Cisco Webex”, “Skype”, or other means of video teleconferencing. Just give us a call or send us an email and we’ll make it happen. And wear whatever you’d like. We will too.
How Does Collaborative Law Work for a Divorce?
The purpose of collaborative law for a divorce is conflict resolution and avoidance by using an alternative to litigation. As a member of the International Academy of Collaborative Professionals (IACP), Mr. Murphy is specifically trained to use his legal knowledge and insight to complete collaborative divorces that keep all parties feeling satisfied and less hostile. If you want your divorce to stay civil, especially if you need to work through serious concerns like child custody and asset division, then you’ll want to consider using collaborative law first.
The typical collaborative law divorce process includes:
- Both spouses sign a collaborative participation agreement, which promises to attempt collaboration with good, honest effort and faith.
- All relevant information and documents are openly disclosed by both spouses.
- Both spouses must have a lawyer present during collaboration.
- Lawyers cannot represent either spouse if collaboration fails and the case must go to court.
- Both spouses can work with third party experts as needed, such as family therapists and financial analysist; third party experts must also not be involved in future litigation, if it occurs.
Why Collaborative Divorce is Better
It is a shame that so many people associate divorce with bitter conflicts when collaborative law is here to change their perspectives. When you use a collaborative approach to your divorce with our certified collaborative law attorneys in, you can unlock key advantages you simply do not get with traditional divorce that requires litigation.
Benefits you’ll enjoy with using collaborative law for your divorce:
- Privacy: By keeping your divorce process out of the courtroom, you can keep all of your documents, meetings, and so forth private. If you value your privacy as a public figure, company executive, or private person, use collaborative law first.
- Control: The court has to make decisions based on caselaw and what it thinks is best. With collaborative law, you and your spouse work with your attorneys to come up with fair solutions that benefit everyone. Since you know each other better than anyone, especially an impersonal courtroom, the decisions you reach are much more likely to benefit you.
- Continued cooperation: Collaborative divorce is also a great starting point for building your relationship after your divorce. If you share children with your ex-spouse, then you will want to be able to maintain a healthy, amicable relationship with them. You and your children will appreciate the feeling of togetherness that can be achieved after completing a collaborative divorce.
Would you like to know more about collaborative divorce? We’d love to get the chance to tell you more. Call our Northern Virginia collaborative divorce lawyers at (703) 721-7640 between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., Mondays through Fridays
Why Hire Law Offices of Michael Kevin Murphy, PLLC?
Our Attorney is a former
U. S. Army officer.
Our firm is award winning & top rated..
We serve clients domestically & internationally.
Located close to the Fairfax County Courthouse.
We have over 30 years of legal experience.
Children returned and Assets retained… enough said!
I retained Mike and Rebecca to represent me in what even the presiding judge admitted was one of the most complex cases he'd ever seen. Basically, my ex spouse manufactured allegations against me which she used to remove our minor children from the Commonwealth to return to her home state without my knowledge or consent. I had to fight tooth and nail to try and clear my name and get my kids back. Well, Mike and Rebecca did just that. They met every legal challenge professionally and with decisions that were in the best interest of the children. The result is that ALL of the children have been returned home to Virginia with me having primary custody AND I retained ALL of my assets. Note: I am also a lawyer who knows great legal work...this is such a case. The best interest of the child(ren) is THE standard.
Without his guidance and representation I am confident that I would be lost and without my children.
“I could not be more grateful to Mike for what he has done for me and my family.”
Your validation has pulled his life out of quicksand.
“You've given him hope and thoughts of a productive future. He has reason to persevere.”
I want to thank you for your wise counsel and words of encouragement over the last 18 months.
“It was an ordeal for me, but your assistance undoubtedly made it easier. ”
There is probably only a handful of attorneys of his experience and caliber.
“His practice is almost fully electronic, which keeps costs down and enables him to help military families even stationed overseas.”
It is not only the legal work – but the feeling of protection, understanding, and caring that sets you apart.
“I thank you both for bolstering me up and looking out for me when I needed it most.”
I was blessed to have you and your team to represent me, it was worth every penny!
“You all showed that you had my needs and desires at the forefront. ”
Mike Murphy and his team helped me negotiate a very favorable divorce settlement.
“Mike Murphy and his team helped me negotiate a very favorable divorce settlement. Their advice and counsel allowed me to keep 100% of my military pension, sole ownership of my two homes, and helped reduce my spousal support payments from seven years to five. I never dreamed a settlement this favorable was possible, but Mike and his team made it a reality.”