Fairfax Collaborative Divorce Lawyers – (703) 721-7640
With collaborative law, you can work together with your spouse and your divorce attorneys to sidestep the courtroom and keep things amicable. The Law Office Michael Kevin Murphy, PLLC with offices in Fairfax and Loudoun Counties and serving all of Northern Virginia and beyond can help you discover all the benefits of collaborative law and decide if it is right for you. Both Attorney Michael Murphy and Attorney Sarah Goding are trained in collaborative law. Together, we have decades of family law experience under our belts, allowing us to guide you to the outcome that protects your best interests the most.
How Does Collaborative Law Work for a Divorce?
The purpose of collaborative law for a divorce is conflict resolution and avoidance by using an alternative to litigation. As members of the International Academy of Collaborative Professionals (IACP), Mr. Murphy and Ms. Goding are specifically trained in using their legal knowledge and insight to complete collaborative divorces that keep all parties feeling satisfied and less hostile. If you want your divorce to stay civil, especially if you need to work through serious concerns like child custody and asset division, then you’ll want to consider using collaborative law first.
The typical collaborative law divorce process includes:
- Both spouses sign a collaborative participation agreement, which promises to attempt collaboration with good, honest effort and faith.
- All relevant information and documents are openly disclosed by both spouses.
- Both spouses must have a lawyer present during collaboration.
- Lawyers cannot represent either spouse if collaboration fails and the case must go to court.
- Both spouses can work with third party experts as needed, such as family therapists and financial analysist; third party experts must also not be involved in future litigation, if it occurs.
Why Collaborative Divorce is Better
It is a shame that so many people associate divorce with bitter conflicts when collaborative law is here to change their perspectives. When you use a collaborative approach to your divorce with our certified collaborative law attorneys in, you can unlock key advantages you simply do not get with traditional divorce that requires litigation.
Benefits you’ll enjoy with using collaborative law for your divorce:
- Privacy: By keeping your divorce process out of the courtroom, you can keep all of your documents, meetings, and so forth private. If you value your privacy as a public figure, company executive, or private person, use collaborative law first.
- Control: The court has to make decisions based on caselaw and what it thinks is best. With collaborative law, you and your spouse work with your attorneys to come up with fair solutions that benefit everyone. Since you know each other better than anyone, especially an impersonal courtroom, the decisions you reach are much more likely to benefit you.
- Continued cooperation: Collaborative divorce is also a great starting point for building your relationship after your divorce. If you share children with your ex-spouse, then you will want to be able to maintain a healthy, amicable relationship with them. You and your children will appreciate the feeling of togetherness that can be achieved after completing a collaborative divorce.
Would you like to know more about collaborative divorce? We’d love to get the chance to tell you more. Call our Northern Virginia collaborative divorce lawyers at (703) 721-7640 between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., Mondays through Fridays
Why Hire Law Offices of Michael Kevin Murphy, PLLC?
Our Attorney is a former
U. S. Army officer.
Our firm is award winning & top rated..
We serve clients domestically & internationally.
Located close to the Fairfax County Courthouse.
We have over 30 years of legal experience.
Without his guidance and representation I am confident that I would be lost and without my children.
“I could not be more grateful to Mike for what he has done for me and my family.”
Your validation has pulled his life out of quicksand.
“You've given him hope and thoughts of a productive future. He has reason to persevere.”
Divorce wasn’t easy, I’m glad Sarah was my lawyer.
“I chose this law office on the recommendation of a friend who went through a divorce just before I did, and I am grateful for my friend's own misery (we both laugh now about our not so fun times). Although I wouldn't wish a divorce on anyone (stick it out and try every day to make it work, or until about the sixth time she tells you she wants a divorce!), for my marriage there wasn't another option. As miserable a time as I had through more than two years of separation and divorce proceedings, I am happy that Sarah and her team were with me. Sarah always ensured my interests were protected, and her legal advice was always spot on. We never encountered any legal setbacks other than spending more time in court than expected because of the other side's actions. She was proactive in every way possible, and seemed to be a step ahead of the other side. With Sarah's help I finalized my divorce on my terms and gave up nothing that mattered to me. Thank you!”
I want to thank you for your wise counsel and words of encouragement over the last 18 months.
“It was an ordeal for me, but your assistance undoubtedly made it easier. ”
There is probably only a handful of attorneys of his experience and caliber.
“His practice is almost fully electronic, which keeps costs down and enables him to help military families even stationed overseas.”
I can always count on receiving timely and substantive advice
“Sarah has been working on my divorce and follow-on support/visitation issues for several years. I can always count on receiving timely and substantive advice regarding any situation or question I may have, no matter how novel. I think her best trait is that she knows my situation inside and out and understands the mindset of my ex-wife. This ability allows her to provide advice on my case that I may be blindsided by because I am too close to the trees to see the forest. I cannot describe how much confidence I have knowing that I have an attorney like Sarah in my corner for any future battles with my ex.”
It is not only the legal work – but the feeling of protection, understanding, and caring that sets you apart.
“I thank you both for bolstering me up and looking out for me when I needed it most.”
I was blessed to have you and your team to represent me, it was worth every penny!
“You all showed that you had my needs and desires at the forefront. ”