Services For Military Professionals Located In Fairfax
Capable Management of Military Retirement Division & Benefits In Northern Virginia
After more than 30 years of military divorce practice, the Law Offices of Michael Kevin Murphy, PLLC is adept at handling legal complexities related to life in the service.
Few lawyers have embraced technology the way we have. We use creative and innovative ways to help our local and forward-deployed military clients with their cases and save them money. Our lawyers and staff members will interact frequently with our current and prospective military clients via “Zoom”, “Facetime”, “Cisco Webex”, “Skype”, or other means of video teleconferencing. Setting up a video teleconference with one of our attorneys for an initial client consultation is easy. Just give us a call or send us an email and we’ll make it happen.
The firm is prepared to assist you matters related to:
- Uniformed Services Former Spouses Protection Act (USFSPA): This federal law protects eligible military spouses. It authorizes the use of state law to resolve conflicts related to ancillary divorce issues, such as child custody, child support, alimony and the division of property. Perhaps most importantly, the law allows state courts to treat retired military pay as marital property, rather than mere income of the military member.
- Military Retired Pay: There are many factors to consider when negotiating the division of military retired pay, including whether the service member is still on active duty or already retired, the duration of the marriage, and the overlap of the marriage and the military service.
- Military Survivor Benefits Plans: A spouse who is the named beneficiary in a Military Survivor Benefits Plan need not remain the beneficiary after divorce.
- OPM Orders Suitable for Processing: The order you get from a state court must be acceptable for processing by the United States Office of Personnel Management, or you will not obtain your desired outcome. Our firm has the experience to ensure that the court order conforms to all OPM regulations for ease of processing.
- Enforcement of Family Law Orders from Other States: All states must give full faith and credit to court orders from other states. If you were divorced in another state and are now residing in Virginia, your divorce order still has the force of law behind it. We can advise you on the proper enforcement procedures to ensure that your ex-spouse honors your court order.
- Defense Finance and Accounting Services (DFAS): The firm can arrange for direct retirement payments to be made to eligible spouses. To be eligible, a couple must have been married for at least ten years with at least ten years of overlapping military service. The maximum amount of pension income an ex-spouse can receive is 50 percent of the military member’s disposable retired pay (and that term is defined by federal law). If child support is included, the maximum is 65 percent.
The Law Offices Of Michael Kevin Murphy, PLLC Is Here To Help
Call our firm at (703) 721-7640 between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., Mondays through Fridays to find out how our Fairfax military divorce attorneys can help you. We serve clients throughout Prince William, Loudoun, Arlington, and Stafford Counties and the City of Alexandria in Northern Virginia.
Why Hire Law Offices of Michael Kevin Murphy, PLLC?
Our Attorney is a former
U. S. Army officer.
Our firm is award winning & top rated..
We serve clients domestically & internationally.
Located close to the Fairfax County Courthouse.
We have over 30 years of legal experience.
Without his guidance and representation I am confident that I would be lost and without my children.
“I could not be more grateful to Mike for what he has done for me and my family.”
Your validation has pulled his life out of quicksand.
“You've given him hope and thoughts of a productive future. He has reason to persevere.”
I want to thank you for your wise counsel and words of encouragement over the last 18 months.
“It was an ordeal for me, but your assistance undoubtedly made it easier. ”
There is probably only a handful of attorneys of his experience and caliber.
“His practice is almost fully electronic, which keeps costs down and enables him to help military families even stationed overseas.”
It is not only the legal work – but the feeling of protection, understanding, and caring that sets you apart.
“I thank you both for bolstering me up and looking out for me when I needed it most.”
I was blessed to have you and your team to represent me, it was worth every penny!
“You all showed that you had my needs and desires at the forefront. ”
Mike Murphy and his team helped me negotiate a very favorable divorce settlement.
“Mike Murphy and his team helped me negotiate a very favorable divorce settlement. Their advice and counsel allowed me to keep 100% of my military pension, sole ownership of my two homes, and helped reduce my spousal support payments from seven years to five. I never dreamed a settlement this favorable was possible, but Mike and his team made it a reality.”
As a former army ranger, he has a profound understanding of the nuances in military lifestyle and legal considerations and that understanding was of great benefit to me at every juncture.
“I highly recommend Michael Murphy and his team to anyone who requires any service in family law, but particularly to military members who have any family law concern.”